Welcome to Jackalberry Lodge in Thornybush Game Reserve!
Jackalberry Lodge, in Thornybush Game Reserve, gets the balance right, by combining down-to-earth hospitality with all those little extras. Enthusiastic attention to detail, genuine African hospitality, and a pristine location on the edge of the Kruger National Park, make this exclusive lodge the ideal destination for honeymooners, couples and families. The majestic Northern Drakensberg Mountains provide a spectacular backdrop to the understated luxury found at the Big Five Jackalberry Lodge in the Thornybush Game Reserve, Limpopo Province, South Africa.
The luxury accommodation for up to 16 guests creates a restful ethnic ambience in harmony with nature. Attention to detail and true South African hospitality will charm guests and leave them with a true sense of real beauty and warmth. Every sense is indulged in the chalet style rooms with en-suite bathroom, air conditioning and patios offering comfort and sheer decadence with African flair.
In room facilities include:
- Tea/Coffee Station
- Safe, Guest Amenities
- Mini Bar, Air-Conditioning
- Mosquito Nets
- Private patio
Your African Safari
Jackalberry Lodge offers unique exclusive Safari experiences in both open Land Rovers, and on foot. The private reserve is home to an abundance of species: 147 mammals including the “Big Five”, 114 reptiles, 507 birds, 49 fish, 34 amphibians and 336 trees. The reserve is predominantly open savannah and with a near perfect year round climate, it is the ideal African safari holiday destination.
A Typical Day
The day starts as dawn breaks over the African bushveld. After your early morning wakeup call, coffee, tea & rusks are served on the main deck overlooking the riverbed. Shortly after, you depart in your open Land Rover with your experienced Rangers and Trackers who will share their extensive knowledge of the bush with you. These drives are undertaken at times best suited for game viewing which vary depending on the season but typically start early morning. Where applicable you may be invited out of the vehicle to see tracks, examine certain plants and follow spoor.
After an exhilarating hunt for tracks to see what the animals have been up to during the night, and tracking down whatever you find, you will stop somewhere out in the bush for a break of coffee & tea. Time to stretch your legs whilst having your sunglasses cleaned & indulge in cool towels in summer, and hot towels in winter. In winter, we keep our guests warm on the vehicle with hot water bottles & warm blankets. After a sumptuous Breakfast is served either back at the camp or in the riverbed or bush, guests are offered walks to suit their interests and fitness levels and are accompanied by an armed ranger and tracker.
Walks allow guests a better chance to see some of the smaller creatures of the bush as well as an opportunity to learn more about the flora and fauna of the region & to have a chance to follow tracks in more detail. Our Shangaan trackers will enthral you with their explanations of the medicinal and other uses of the numerous plants and trees along with tales of traditional folklore. The rest of the day is spent at the discretion of the guest for other activities that we offer, with a delicious lunch being served around 1.30pm. The afternoon game drive is preceded by high tea and extends into the evening to view seldom seen nocturnal species by torchlight.
Upon returning for a gourmet 3 course dinner, either in the boma, bush or lodge – guests can socialise with a cognac, single malt or cigar around the campfire or lounge before returning to bed for another day’s adventure. Where possible, safaris will be tailored to suit individual preferences and interest.
The Thornybush Collection prides itself on actively welcoming children of all ages at Jackalberry Lodge.
Kids at Jackalberry Lodge have a special program prepared for them prior to their arrival that includes:
- On arrival, they receive a complimentary pack which will keep them entertained & occupied during their stay.
- Children are allocated to specific rangers who enjoy interacting with younger guests.
- Drives and activities can be tailored to suit children’s interests and attention span.
- Walks are designed to ensure that their safety is taken into account and that they experience activities they might not normally do in the city.
- Meal requirements and venues are provided if required by parents.
- Baby sitters are available. (Additional cost)Menu’s specially prepared for children.
Some of the activities offered for kids include:
- Picnics next to the Pool: Packed lunch including sandwiches and fruit, eaten on a blanket, next to the pool.
- Educational Walks with Rangers: Short walks with their own ranger pointing out insects, tracks of animals, trees & interesting facts.
- Treasure Hunt: Children have to find clues around the lodge using books from the library, to get to their treasure.(a little something supplied by parents)
- Baking: Children spend time baking sweet treats (supervised). These treats are then presented to parents at afternoon tea.
Kids can get their very own ‘Ranger in Training’ pack consisting of:
- Canvas back pack
- Colouring book
- Safari interactive toy to assist the little ‘Ranger in Training
Contact us for a tailor-made package today!
Our travel consultants are on hand to put together an itinerary to suit your every travel need. Our quick response time means that you get the holiday of your dreams without the wait.